Having genital herpes can be a major concern and considerable embarrassment or shame for most individual and this can impact their overall health, sex life and relationship. Knowing the fact that herpes is not curable might sound scary but it is important to understand that herpes can be effectively managed and there’s not too much to be scared of. Here are 12 facts about herpes:
1. Genital herpes is sexually transmitted disease caused by herpes simplex virus type-1 and type-2.
2. Genital Herpes is a skin disease and the virus doesn’t cause any damage to internal organ.
3. It is estimated that 1 in 6 people have genital herpes but more than 90% of the individuals are unaware of the infection.
4. Although there is no cure for genital virus, it can treated effectively with antivirals.
5. Genital herpes is a highly contagious disease that spreads during sexual contact with someone who has a genital herpes infection, but it can also be passed through oral or anal sex as well.
6. Herpes infections are passed through direct contact with lesions, mucosal surfaces, genital secretions, or oral secretions.
7. Genital herpes cannot be spread by sharing other objects like spoons, glasses, razors, towels, bed sheets, etc.
8. Genital herpes can be transmitted even when there are no symptoms or sores. This is called asymptomatic shedding.
9. Having genital herpes with active lesion increase 2-4 fold risk of acquiring HIV.
10. Herpes infection can be transmitted from mother to child during pregnancy, childbirth, or in the newborn period, resulting in a potentially fatal neonatal herpes infection.
11. Correct and consistent use of latex condoms can reduce the risk of genital herpes and other sexually transmitted diseases, but doesn’t completely prevent transmission.
12. The surest way to avoid transmission of genital herpes or any other sexually transmitted diseases is to abstain from sex, or have only monogamous relationship with a partner who has been tested disease free.